Adevia Health has decades of experience working with Registered Nurses who are trying to achieve their American Dream. All those years of experience mean that we know what we’re talking about when it comes to everything from the NCLEX right down to U.S. immigration. We know the process can seem complicated and all the abbreviations and processes can quickly get confusing! We’ve written this short guide to clarify the requirements that you need to meet before you can join our program.
Basic requirements which nurses have to meet before applying:
- Must have a Diploma or a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from a recognized school of nursing
- Must have a valid nursing license issued by their country of origin or residence
- Must have at least one year of experience post-qualification working in an adult, acute care facility with a minimum capacity of 100 beds (arrangements can be made for nurses working in smaller facilities)
- Must have an updated CV
- Must be below the age of 48 or, if you have a specialization, below the age of 51
Nurses do not need to have written the IELTS and they do not need to have passed the NCLEX-RN before applying with us. However, when they do write the IELTS, they need to achieve a minimum band score of 7 in speaking and 6.5 overall.
Common acronyms and what they mean:
Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools
The CGFNS screens the credentials of foreign-educated Registered Nurses to determine their competency to practice nursing in the U.S. Adevia will cover the cost of the credentials screening fees.
National Council Licensure Examination
“NCLEX” generally refers to the NCLEX-RN standardized test, which you must write in order to prove that you are competent enough to practice as a Registered Nurse in the U.S.
NCLEX-24 is the name of Adevia Health’s in-house NCLEX-RN preparation course. The course takes place in the 24 weeks leading up to the NCLEX-RN date, which is where it gets its name from. The NCLEX-24 includes weekly online tutorials, timed weekly online exams, and test results with feedback and progress charts.
International English Language Testing System
The IELTS was designed to qualify students to work, study, or migrate to a country where English is the native language. Adevia nurses need to achieve a minimum band score of 7 in speaking, and 6.5 overall in the IELTS.
Intensive NCLEX Review Center
The INR is Adevia Health’s groundbreaking NCLEX training center (the first of its kind in Africa!) where we send some of our nurses to prepare them for the NCLEX exam. At the INR, nurses will receive support from our world-class tutoring team, enjoy chef-prepared meals, and relax with yoga classes before the exam.
We hope that clears up some of the confusion around these processes. To find out more about what you can expect after you’ve applied with Adevia Health, check out our other informative blog articles on our website!
What’s next for you?
Here’s an overview of what you can look forward to:
- You will book an initial online assessment and, later, a telephonic interview to determine your preparedness for our academic program
- You will sign your sponsorship contract with us! Congratulations!
- We’ll pay for your credentials to be screened and approved by the CGFNS. This is the first step to having your RN qualifications recognized in the USA
- You will begin the NCLEX-24, an exclusive 24-week study program designed to help you pass the NCLEX-RN on your first attempt
- You will book a date for your NCLEX exam
- You’ll receive your Authorization to Test from the Texas Board of Nursing (don’t worry – you can still practice nursing in any one of the United States!). This means that you’re ready to write the NCLEX. How exciting!
- You’ll write the NCLEX-RN – good luck!
- If you haven’t already, you’ll write the IELTS. You need to achieve a minimum band score of 7 in speaking, and 6.5 overall.
- Once you’ve passed the NCLEX and the IELTS, you’ll become eligible to apply for a Visa Screen Certificate. This formally begins your immigration process to the United States. You are so close to your American Dream!
- You’ll need to apply for several other immigration documents, like your EB3 visa and your i140 petition. Adevia will be at your side for every step of the process.
- Pack your bags, you’ve made it! It’s time to make the move to the United States and change your life!